When your dog begs for table scraps it can be hard to turn him down, but consider that some of what you’re eating can be hazardous to your dog’s health. Before you break off a piece of your dinner, it’s important to know what foods you should avoid giving him. Some of these foods might cause a mild irritation, while others can make him down right sick. Of course, the best option is to give him dog treats or plain meat rather than food scraps, but if you must, keep the following ingredients in mind:
Any food that is a member of the onion family should not be given to a dog. This means onions, garlic, shallots and scallions. According to the ASPCA, onions contain a compound that can damage red blood cells when ingested in sufficient quantities. When a dog eats onion they won’t get sick for a few days, but when they do they may appear weak, or easily tired. Additionally, their urine may appear orange to dark red in color.
According to the ASPCA chocolate intoxication is most commonly seen around the holidays. The elements that cause toxicosis in dogs are caffeine and theobromine. The darker the chocolate the more toxic it is to dogs. Signs that a dog is sick from eating chocolate may include vomiting, increased thirst, restlessness, agitation, abdominal discomfort, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, elevated body temperature, seizures and death.
Xylitol is a non-caloric sweetener that is commonly used in sugar-free gum and sugar-free baked goods. When ingested by a dog, xylitol can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar. If a dog eats something with xylitol in it he may become disoriented or have seizures. Any dog that eats something with xylitol in it should be checked by a veterinarian as it can cause liver failure.
Other Foods To Look Out For
Hops, ethanol, macadamia nuts, avocado, grapes, raisins, bread dough, alcohol, any caffeinated beverage, peaches, plums, raw eggs, and salt.