Press junkets are a necessity for promoting a film and keeping the audience engaged just before and after the movie premieres. I don’t envy the actors who have to sit for hours, cycling through a marathon of interviewers, and keeping up their level of enthusiasm as they answer variants of, “So was it great being in that movie?” with variations of, “Well yeah, ’cause it was the Avengers.”
However, as a viewer, I get a perverse pleasure from the junkets because the exhausted (or possibly intoxicated) actors often let slip moments that are just pure comic gold. Other than learning James Spader once worked as a stable boy, The Avengers: Age of Ultron press tour revealed that while RDJ is undoubtedly the biggest flirt, it was really Hemsworth and Evans carrying the bromantic torch for each other. They definitely snagged the top bromantic moments, but that doesn’t mean the rest of the cast weren’t also bro-ing around to the delight of fangirls and fanboys everywhere.
9) Are they serious with this level of contact? People greet their blood relations with less heartfelt joy and touching.
8) Renner and Evans bond over the thought of giving Black Widow a hard time by forcing her to fix a broken TV set.
7) Downey and Hemsworth being absolutely adorable while talking about their equally adorable newborn children.
6) Paul Bettany can’t quite meet the interviewer’s eyes while he talks about Evans’ partying prowess. It’s what he’s not saying about a night out with Evans that’s interesting (and super endearing).
5) Here’s the beginning of Chris/Chris shipping when the two just can’t pull it together for this interview and instead dissolve into tandem giggles.
4) The cast plays “How Well Do The Avengers Know Their Biceps?” Their admiration for the product of each other’s workouts is so great they aren’t sure which bulging musculature belongs to themselves or their co-stars…except Ruffalo. Everyone somehow recognized Ruffalo’s arm hair and predilection for pastel shirts.
3) Yep, you know that bromance is legit when the actors openly acknowledge it.
2) Ummm, double-fisting? PLUS AN ACCOMPANYING HAND GESTURE?!
1) Not only are we blessed with the previously unknown pleasure that is watching Hemsworth and Evans eating Doritos, we get a glorious moment of innuendo wherein Hemsworth reply is literally, “That’s exactly what I thought you’d taste like.”
Thank you, Marvel, for making your stars do these terrible junkets which continue to feed our already rabid obsessions with your franchise. And thank you, the Internet, for being the platform through which we shamelessly ship these epic bromances.